Thursday, May 19, 2005

LES FENETRES by Jacques Brel

The windows look in
As if waiting for our deaths
As if our final breaths
Were awaited by the world
The windows laugh at us
When they see how we behave
When they see what we believe
When they hear the words we hurl
The windows cry
In the dawn’s phlegmatic light
For the dead who lie
In the old cemetery
But the windows curse and frown
And wish they could pull down
Or somehow see around
The great oak tree

The windows mutter to themselves
When the afternoons bring rain
That beats against the pane
Forming streams upon the glass
The windows sing aloud
When autumn comes aggrieved
Blowing dead and fallen leaves
Down the street where people pass
The windows stay closed tight
When the frosts of winter bite
And the snow lies thick and white
On the parapet and frame
But they open wide once more
When the girls pass by the door
Just like they used to do before
The bitter winter came

The windows watch over
The child we used to hold
Who, encircled by the old,
Takes his first few steps
The windows smile
When at fifteen years of age
As if freed from a cage
The child seeks adult depths
But the windows scowl and seethe
The windows threaten me
When with audacity
I frankly speak my mind
The windows follow me
All I do they see
I’ve no way to break free
From my home’s all-seeing eyes

4 Comments:

Blogger Kahdoosch said...

I won't post any more Brel after this one. I hope that these translations inspire anyone passing to look up some of Brel's recordings.

He really did have arguably the most unsung genuis of the last century (in mainland European, popular music that is). Not only his musical composition, but the unusual quality of lyric that translates from the language they were written in(mostly French, some Flemish), to other languages; whilst still retaining their intrinsic beauty and feeling.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Enocia Joseph said...

All I do they see
I’ve no way to break free
From my home’s all-seeing eyes


I love this.

It's funny you should post this, K, I was talking to the bathroom walls two nights ago. Before you start thinking I've lost the plot let me assure you that you're probably right. Haha.

I believe...no...I know everything around me is consciou; the world speaks to us, we only have to listen.

Thank you K for posting this.

Love always,
EJ

9:32 AM  
Blogger rhein said...

hmm, i've always had this thing with windows- they MUST be clean.

great poem, it reminds me of a movie, but i don't remember which one:(.

4:47 PM  
Blogger shyloh's poetry said...

OOOOOOOO this is so cool. I love windows too. And the must be clean ha.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home