Tuesday, May 17, 2005

SUR LA PLACE by Jacques Brel

In the square, in the baking sun
A dark eyed girl began to dance
And it seemed to me it was the dance
Of the dancers of antiquity
In the old town's sweltering heat
Drowsy men and women stare
Through open shuttered windows at
This girl dancing at mid-day there

Sometimes on such sacred days
A flame burns brightly in our eyes
In the church where I once went
They told me that this was our God
But the lover calls it love
The beggar charity
The sun calls it the day
And the good man sympathy

In the square, in the shimmering air
Where not even a dog appears
Suddenly I see her there
The girl who comes as if from nowhere
Without guitar or tambourine
To accompany her steps
She simply claps her painted hands
To give rhythm to her dance

Sometimes on such sacred days
A flame burns brightly in our eyes
In the church where I once went
They told me that this was our God
But the lover calls it love
The beggar charity
The sun calls it the day
And the good man sympathy

In the square, in the burning silence
A dark eyed girl began to sing
The song she sang filled the square
A hymn of love and kindness
But the day is turning hotter still
And no one wants to hear her sing
The men close all the windows fast
Like doors between the dead and living

And sometimes on such sacred days
A flame burns brightly deep inside
Yet we never see its rays
Cursed to live without its light
We place our hands against our ears
Turn our eyes towards the dark
We fear to watch the clocks
Of our already aged hearts

In the square a dog is howling
The dark eyed girl I cannot see
It seems to me it howls in dying
Crying out our destiny

~ Jacques Brel ~

6 Comments:

Blogger Kahdoosch said...

I thought I would announce my return with a song lyric from Jacques Brel's catologue of wonderfully poetic works.

For anyone unfamiliar with Brel, he was a Belgian Accordian player who lived in Paris, recorded songs exclusively in French (translations are quite hard to come by). If you haven't heard any original Brel then you might like to check out some of his material.

He has been recorded in English by such notables as:-

David Bowie, Scott Walker, Alex Harvey, Jack Lukeman, Marc Almond, Momus, The Paper Chase, Frank Sinatra, Dusty Springfield and The Dresden Dolls.

Terry Jacks recorded a much altered (and ruined, in my opinion), version of 'Le Moribond' (the dying man), in 'Seasons in the sun'.

Check out the songs :- 'Les Fenetres' and 'Je suis un soir d'ete' for some beatifully simple yet imaginiative and poetic lyrics

5:10 PM  
Blogger Enocia Joseph said...

I thought I would announce my return

Mr Kahd, you are a one.

Welcome back. Trust you had a happy move and all nicely settled in.

And this is a beautiful song lyric indeed. Thank you.

Love EJ

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kahdoosch said...

Helllllllloooooooooo EJ,

I haven't moved yet, the chain collapsed and the exchange date got moved back 12 weeks.

That's why I disappeared. There was no point in hanging around so I packed a few bags and boogered off to Spain to escape the carnage.

I'm glad you like the Brel lyrics. In fact, I'm gonna post some more.

Love ya

5:10 PM  
Blogger Enocia Joseph said...

Hola,

Oh shame. Well glad you were able to get away. Did you go on an 18-30 holiday or am I being a tad optimistic? Hahaha.

Btw, you have a couple of groupies. Hope your head doesn't swell too much. Have a look. Shy's Friend.

I shall now go and enjoy the lyrics you've posted. Mucho gracias senhor.

Amor,
EJ

ps: Please don't go off on one speaking Spanish as my knowledge of Spanish is extremely limited.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Kahdoosch said...

My Spanish just about stretches to - Dos vino rossado de la casa, por fabor (well, it's all you really need).

Come to think of it, the stock answer to any request is 'Manana' accompanied by a flap of the wrist. I can never get the hang of the difference between Castillian and Basque pronunciation.

Although I did land myself in hot water a few years back when I went into a 'club', not realising what a 'club' is in Spain. When I was told that I could only by wine and not beer I saw a 'regular' with a bottle of Amstel. The barman told me it was very expensive but I had the idea he was taking the michael.

I decided to ask the 'regular', 'Quantos?'whilst pointing in the vague direction of the beer bottle (which he was holding against his chest. I was a bit taken aback by the reaction of said gentleman.

It took me another half hour to work out what type of establishment I was in. It dawned on me that I had just asked a guy 'how much?' in a brothel. I'm probably lucky he didn't decide to give me a quote.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Enocia Joseph said...

The story of your faux pas had me in stitches.

Guess what? I saw this ad on television last night about a troll underneath a bridge. I can't remember now what they were advertising but it reminded me of you and Leah on your walk.

Art imitating life imitating art.

Look out for the ad.

Lots of love,

EJ

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home